We’ve been hard at work (or munch – depending on how you look at it!) this morning.
A lot of you have written in asking us about ways to stay motivated to keep going on your health journey for this year. You’ve asked us for tips, advice, affirmations, workouts, recipes and more. So today, we want to inspire you with one of our favorite happy foods.
We call these “Chick Chips” (we dare you to try and say the name 5 times super fast….tongue twister! 🙂 )
Here’s the scoop: We are going on 80+ pounds of weight loss between all of us here at Happy Someone. Part of our secret has been substituting certain foods for others. Baked chickpeas are the perfect snack to substitute crackers, chips, and popcorn. We promise you won’t miss the old stuff and you’ll be craving these instead. Keep them handy in a ziplock bag when you know you’ll be tempted to grab something that’s not good for you. Chickpeas are full of protein, fiber and nutrients.
Did you know that besides being a great source of protein and fiber they are rich in Vitamin B6?
Here are some more pretty happy benefits to eating Chick Chips…
- Benefits the brain by producing serotonin, a feel-good neurotransmitter that relaxes and lifts your spirits
- Helps avoid depression (low levels of Vitamin B-6 have been linked to people with mood disorders)
- Makes you think clearly, boosts mental awareness and improves your memory
- Chickpeas also contain folic acid, which helps modulate anxiety, and your mood
- They contain Zinc, a mineral proven to boost positive mental health, fight against “brain fog”, improve motivation, regulate mood swings, and reduce fatigue
“Chick Chips” Baked Chickpeas
- 2 cans of chickpeas (garbanzos) or 1 bag of dried garbanzos (cook garbanzos in water, turn off heat once water boils, cover and leave overnight. They will be tender in the morning). Drain and rinse.
- 2 – 2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- sea salt & pepper
You can add other spices but we like to keep ours pretty plain because we enjoy the crunchy nutty taste of the garbanzo.
Heat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Toss all the ingredients together and spread the chickpeas in an even layer. After 15 minutes in the oven, flip them over and bake for another 15 – 20 minutes. Checking them constantly since they go from almost done to burnt in a matter of minutes. You should end up with a crunchy bean that looks like this:
We promise you’ll be hooked!